This blog will chronicle my adventures as a Foster Mom for the Central Florida Pug Rescue. As a pug foster parent, my job involves caring for surrendered pugs until they are adopted by their forever family. If you are interested in adopting a pug, click the link to the right and visit the CFPR website.
Pugs and Kisses,
Leslie

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Gosh! What a Day!

Well, I got in the car at 9:15 to take the puglets to visit Dr. Hart for their check ups. On the way there, some tour bus literally ran me off the road into the shoulder of the high speed lane on I-4. Didn't even see me and didn't hear my horn either. Needless to say, I was totally freaked out for my babies. I'm gonna have to get something to secure these girls in the car since now I'm afraid they'll go flying through the window.

We got to Dr. Hart's office for our 10am appointment and were met by Wendi, one of the Rescue board members. Man, I was so grateful for her because I had no idea what was involved in these checkups and having her there with extra hands and all that knowledge really saved my butt. Thanks Wendi!

So, here's the scoop: Zoey weighs 17.5 pounds and, other than the fact that she needs to lose 3 to 4 pounds, she's otherwise in great health. Her knees and hips were fine, she's heartworm negative and she's now sporting a new microchip in her neck. Her teeth were good too. Even though her fecal came back negative, she was given a deworming just as a precaution. She got all her shots and smiled through it all. She never made a peep, even when Dr. Hart had his fingers in places where fingers shouldn't be. What a good girl! Anyhow, it's official:

Zoey is now ready to be adopted!

Pia weighed in at 18 pounds, and she was found to have an ear infection and a bladder infection, which accounts for all this "marking business" lately. It all makes sense to me now........ Her hips and knees were also fine, she's heartworm negative and was chipped as well. Same on the fecal and all the shots. She'll be on an antibiotic for 2 1/2 weeks or so and she's got some ear wash for her ears. Once she's done with her antibiotics, she'll go back for her dental since her teeth were kind of skanky. She's also got a bunch of little "tags" on her underbody which Dr. Hart will snip off when she gets her dental. Pia was a good girl too. I was really glad to hear that all Pia's crazy noises would greatly diminish once she loses that weight. Of course, they won't completely go away, but what's a pug without all those funny snuffly noises they make, huh?

They slept all afternoon and had a good dinner, although they were not crazy about the green beans I threw in their bowl. Wendi suggested green beans and/or carrots since they have no calories and might help them not be so hungry. It was funny to watch them put the beans in their mouth and then BLECH! spit them out. Too cute. Reminds me of when my girls were small. They were ok getting their Comfortis flea pill too.

So there you have it! We all survived this big day. These pugs are so incredibly wonderful and, hopefully, they'll be finding their way to new homes soon. I feel that, even though they came from the same home, they will be ok separately, so they will not necessarily have to be adopted together. Zoey is such a people person, and Pia likes her quiet so it might even be nice for Pia to have a nice, quiet family home. They're getting used to their walks even though they're winded fairly quickly. These pugs just love to be loved on, and it is such a joy having them. I know that they will be leaving me with a sad heart, but I also feel good that I've been a part of their journey.

Pugs and Kisses,
Leslie and her babies


No comments: