This blog will chronicle my adventures as a Foster Mom for the Central Florida Pug Rescue. As a pug foster parent, my job involves caring for surrendered pugs until they are adopted by their forever family. If you are interested in adopting a pug, click the link to the right and visit the CFPR website.
Pugs and Kisses,
Leslie

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Just Keep Swimming, Just Keep Swimming

Yesterday, I bought Pia a life jacket for the pool. My husband, Matt, gave me all kinds of crazy looks and even had the nerve to ask "Why does she need that?" Of course, my answer was "Because I said so!" Gosh, I haven't used that line since the girls were small! heh heh heh.....

Anyhow, I digress............. I strapped Pia into her jacket and took her into the pool. Oh my gosh, she loved it! Once she got used to the floating aspect, she was so happy to be hanging out in the pool. For the most part, I had her front paws laying on top of my forearm, which gave her a feeling a security. Her legs just hung out the back. She really was floating and she didn't even know it!
One thing I've discovered about Pia is that she gets hot quite easily. However, if I am able to pop her in the pool for a few minutes, she cools off quickly and has a much easier time of it. Last night, after her swim, she was so much calmer than she usually has been at night. I think that floating on the water relaxes her as well as cools her off. Her breathing gets real soft and she almost falls asleep. Way too cute! She even kicked her back legs a bit. And her tongue never stayed in her mouth. What a look!
Nora wouldn't stop coming to the edge of the pool, trying to check out Pia's new couture. I think I may try the jacket on Nora next to see if she can lose her fear of the pool.

With the weather in the 90's every day here in the Orlando area, I'm sure this new jacket will be getting lots of use.

Pugs and Kisses,
Leslie and the Puglets

No comments: