This blog will chronicle my adventures as a Foster Mom for the Central Florida Pug Rescue. As a pug foster parent, my job involves caring for surrendered pugs until they are adopted by their forever family. If you are interested in adopting a pug, click the link to the right and visit the CFPR website.
Pugs and Kisses,
Leslie

Friday, July 25, 2008

Update on Miss Pia Peanut!

Pia spent a few days at Dr. Hart's office last weekend because I "just knew" that something wasn't right with my sweet Pia. Dr. Hart did a full blood panel and x-rays, and this is what they found: Pia has an enlarged heart and had a bunch of fluid in her lungs.

At first, I was so worried for my little girl because having an enlarged heart means lifelong medication, and I was afraid that it would make it harder for Pia to get adopted. WELL! Let me put your mind at ease because this precious pug has done a complete turnaround. It's pretty darn amazing, if I do say so myself!
Pia's breathing is 200% improved and, because of that, her energy level is much better. We go on walks and she runs! It's adorable! Her voracious eating has completely calmed down and her peeing in the house has basically stopped. She actually jumped on me and barked yesterday to go outside. Now THAT is an improvement! She still has lots of potty breaks, due to one of the meds, but it's nothing like it was before, and Pia's much more "in control" of it. I feel like, before, she really didn't have control over her peeing, but that's all gone now. Everybody's happy!

She also snuggles with me more now and, like most pugs, follows me everywhere I go, even if it's just from this chair to the kitchen, which is literally 10 steps away.

Oh, and did I tell you that Pia and Nora are best buddies now? Maybe Nora sensed that Pia's health was funky because, now that Pia has improved so much, Nora loves to be around her. They snuggle up on the couch together and, whenever Pia walks by Nora, Nora grabs her ear and gives her a "love bite." So cute!
Pia wakes up every morning as happy as a clam. When I open up her kennel, she jumps all over me and makes her little noises, which have become so dear to me. She just loves to talk and say "I love you" in her pug language! She immediately runs to the front door for her morning walk, which she absolutely LOVES. She has a cute little routine she does every morning and, when she's done walking, she runs over to me and jumps up as if to say "OK, I'm done now." Once I head toward home, she starts running like crazy, which is something she never did before. She runs to the front door and, when I open it, she runs to the kitchen because she knows she'll get a little treat for going potty (bribery will get you everywhere!). Right now, she takes 3 meds each morning and 1 at night. Believe it or not, this little girl gives me NO TROUBLE taking pills. It's pretty amazing considering the fact that dogs and cats always seem to know the "trick" of hiding pills until you walk away and then they spit it out. Well, not for this little puglet. She's really good about taking meds.

I'm hoping that, once her system gets more stabilized, she won't have so many meds to take. We'll see. Whichever way it ends up, this little girl is STILL a perfect little pug who will make some happy family even happier. She's a dream..........a cute little girl with a big heart (pun intended!).
Have a puggerrific day!

Leslie and Precious Pia Peanut

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I'm so glad she's feeling/doing better!

Thanks for sharing your sweet Pia with us!

Many Blessings,
M.